3 days into the President Obama era and the excitement is still sky high. As great as the challenges are at every turn, I am buoyed by the potential for amazing change as symbolized by our President. My Father-n-Law (Grandpa Bob) emailed his children with his impressions of the last few days, some reflections of the past and hope for the future. Unedited, here are his words:
Good morning, I'm sure that it will come as no surprise to y'all that I managed to watch on TV 75%+ of yesterday's festivities and ceremonies (which I suppose puts the TV among the more important "tools" in my shop). It ironically came at a time when I was beginning to settle into being 66 years old: whiter hair and less of it, longer teeth, slower gait, and yes, increasingly moved by emotional and nostalgic symbolism. I thought that I would share a few thoughts with you and naturally invite you to similarly share your impressions and reflections. Now of course, there IS truth in the saying that people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear so please indulge me these thoughts that obviously reflect the prism of my eyes and the filter of my mind. So for what it's worth...How very proud and appreciative I was yesterday to BE AN AMERICAN. The countries of Europe may have their regal ceremony and the developing democracies of the world their nascent yet boundless spirit of freedom yet I know of no other country on this earth where the change of leadership takes place with such civility, dignity, lack of malice and hope for the future.How very far we have come -in my lifetime - in issues related to race. As I was growing up, the schools and universities of the South were segregated and their integration came about only by the heroic acts of such people as Rosa Parks and the courage of presidents such as Eisenhower and Kennedy. White Americans exposure to blacks usually consisted of hearing Amos and Andy on the radio, watching Step and Fetchit in the movies or listening to music by groups like the Ink Spots. Today, no one thinks twice when they see a biracial couple yet it wasn't so many years ago that biracial marriage was outlawed by many states in our country. I remain more convinced than ever that behind so many of these changes was the idealism of youth and their natural proclivity to question the razon d'etre and the morality of the status quo. Speaking of the youth of this country, I indeed have been disappointed in recent years by the apolitical attitude of many young people. The "freedom riders" of the 60's who used nonviolent means to promote social change grew old and seemed not to be replaced by a new generation of committed activists. During this campaign I witnessed an end to that apathy and disengagement in the political process and saw a new spirit manifested over and over yesterday when the TV cameras would zoom in on the crowds in Washington or would show live shots from colleges and universities around the country - make that around the world. This bodes well for the future.I saw yesterday some of the most profound and powerful symbolism of my life. I saw a black man whose ascendancy to the most powerful position on this Earth (sorry Vladimir Putin and Pope Benedict) was in many ways eclipsed by his role as husband and especially father. What incredible role modeling by Obama as he held those beautiful girls and demonstrated what the priorities are in his life. And what grandparent - especially grandmother - could not feel such respect and esteem for Marian Robinson, Michelle O's mother, for the tender guidance and wonderful influence that she has had on those girls.O how Americans want to come together to restore the values that made this country what it is. From Queen Aretha bellowing out her beautiful rendition of "My Country Tis Of Thee, Sweet Land Of Liberty" to Rev. Lowery's "down to earth" benediction and finally Obama's powerful Inaugural Address, we were reminded of what this country MUST stand for and the awesome responsibility of the president, Congress, and every single one of us to try to do our part to make it so. There are too many people who want only to tear down, put their interests above all others, to cynically deride the aspirations of those striving to find a greater meaning in life. Yesterday the sullen and cynical cacophony of their voices was drowned out by a tidal wave of hope, change, and commitment to higher ideals.As George Bush was shown boarding the helicopter on the White house lawn my first thought was to wish him well. Nevertheless, I can only feel disgust at what his administration caused to happen or allowed to happen under the guise of national defense. To me one of the most profound parts of Obama's speech was when he said,"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers ... our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake. And so to all the other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman, and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and that we are ready to lead once more." Once again we have a president who is affirming the belief that the REAL power of America lies NOT in its military power, not in its ability to bully other countries, not in a smug, "You're either with us or against us" but rather in its stated ideals in the Preamble, the Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and in the words of Lincoln, MLK,Jr., and now by the stated beliefs of our new president. Have a great Day, Love, Dad
Thank you Grandpa Bob

No comments:
Post a Comment