We took a family trip to Sanford tonight to watch the old alma mater (The Redskins) take on the current home town team (Marshwood Hawks) in a Basketball showdown at the Memorial Gymnasium. After 3 quarters, the Hawks had the game well in hand. Jack, Sam and Morgan had a great time. Morgan loved marching around the stands and going to the bathroom (3 times) and playing with Isabella. Jack and Sam loved sitting in the balcony, eating popcorn, reading the score off the scoreboard, pointing out players named "Jack" and "Sam" and especially the warm-up music (loud, new-aged, rap-rock?).
After the game we headed for some fine dining at Bonanza, or Bonanza's, or wait, is it Bonanza Steakhouse, I'll have to google it....It's Bonanza Steakhouse. It was the kid's first visit and what's not to like for a kid: service on a tray, huge salad bar with miniature corn-on-the-cob, ice cream bar, fountain sodas, a number on your table for food delivery, interesting characters at every table, you get the picture. Anyhow, I'm trying to decide my favorite moment, so here are the nominations:
1. 10 seconds into the meal, Sam pours 3/4 glass of cold root beer on my crou... er, lap
2. Jack grabs a "clean" plate to head to the salad bar "Dad there's food on the bottom of my plate" -something yellow, I explain "ooh, that one got in the wrong pile
3. Morgan asks incessantly "Dad, can I share your lemonade?!" I actually counted, it was 17 times
4. I peel off skin of Sam's fried chicken and there was no meat, No I mean really no meat. It was fried bones
5. Sam gets lecture from mom after pointing out "really fat people" leaving the restaurant
6. Sam plays ping pong with his foot on Mom's shin and the seat behind him for the whole meal, the seat wins, mom gives up and moves leg
7. Morgan queries loudly 3 times "Who's that?" pointing at an odd man standing 8 feet away from us, odd man doesn't mind, he seems to like the recognition
I think I'll go with Sam's innocent comment outside the restaurant. Besides, after 10 minutes of follow-up discussion in the car, Jack and Sam ask how the "overweight" (much more PC) people got into the restaurant, how they're going to get into their car, how they got out the door and why they don't stop eating...
Ahh, it's good to be a Dad.

No comments:
Post a Comment