Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So long 3...

Happy Birthday Sam, "3" is going to miss you and "4" has no idea how lucky it is to have you!

"Can he still pinch me?"
Cowboy up
posing with Morgan, Abby & Jack
Seeking a Treasure
Hitting the Surf

Sam couldn't have been more excited about finally turning 4; I guess that's how it is when you have a bigger brother who is 2 years older. However old you are doesn't seem quite old enough. Sam summarized his transition as follows:
"Dad, when I wake up tomorrow I won't be 3, I'll be 4! And then pretty soon I'll be as old as you. I'll get married, I'll go to college and then we'll decide to have babies and that will be our family. But, I don't (pausing to think of the right word) like anyone except you and mom right now." And then I big grin crept back onto his face "This is my last day to be 3".

Sam is amazing in so many ways, some of the things I'll miss about 3:

Every time he catches me in the shower, he can't move fast enough to pull his PJ's off and jump into the water
He always chooses 1 green apple at the grocery store
He jumps like Tigger into every situation, every room in the house, into the car, into the tub, into a chair, into his clothes and half the time he bangs himself or me or Nadine - it's like a Saturday Night Live skit
He does everything so hard - swing a bat, get dressed, brush his teeth, run, pick up his sister, hug grandparents, cry, laugh at movies
He sleeps like a wild bear - anytime of night that you check on him, he is in a different position - sideways, under the bed, feet on pillow, under all his blankets, on top of his blankets, stretched out, balled up...
His expressions - "I don't like night, I always want it to be day"; " I route for the Jets" (knowing I will be outraged); "Dad, can we play soccer, pirates, tag, baseball, hide and seek..."; "I love smokers"(steamers); "When I grow up I'm going to be a cowboy, singer, fireman, baseball player..."
Oh yeah, and his final words to me as a 3 year old tonight when I said "goodnight", he deadpanned "Dad, I'm going to miss you when you're Dead"
And how can anyone forget how Sam came into this world 4 years ago?
Sam
Some babies enter the world gently like a rolling thunder. Other babies arrive swiftly like a summer flash of lightening, so it was with "Sudden" Sam McCall. At 9:35 p.m. on August 20th, 2004, Sam joined his brother Jack, his mother Nadine and his father Bob in the McCall family.
Jack McCall marched to bed eagerly singing "Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to bed we go" at 8:30 p.m. on the Friday night of Sam's arrival. Having safely tucked Jack into bed, Nadine began having strong contractions at nine o'clock that night. Within 10 minutes, the contractions were racking her body so strongly she could barely shuffle to the car. The Midwives at the Beverly birthing center were paged frantically as Nadine and Bob raced down Hamilton Ave in the Volkswagon, passing first, a sprinting Stephanie (who would assist the birth) and second, a jogging Sasha Ozahowski (who would keep Jack safe). Natalya would later be Sam's first visitor in the hospital.
As Nadine struggled to keep on top of the increasing, powerful contractions, Bob swiftly navigated the back roads of Hamilton, Wenham and Beverly. At 9:13 p.m., the cell phone, clutched tightly in Bob's driving hand, rang and a voice spoke
"Hello, Beverly Birthing Center, what's happening?"
"Nadine's in strong labor and we're racing to the hospital" blurted Bob.
"OK, where are you Bob?"
"In Beverly, be there in 10 minutes"
Nadine's emotions and intensity echoed in the background as she kneeled in the car, imploring Bob to "get me there!"
"Go to the Birth Center, I'll get things ready" instructed the midwife, Karen"
"We'll be right there!" responded Bob

As it became increasingly obvious that Sam's arrival was minutes, not hours away, Bob and Nadine made the final harrowing turn into the Birthing Center parking lot at 9:25 p.m.
Only a flight of stairs separated Nadine from her birthing place, but Sam was indicating he was ready to come now.
Nadine braved her way up the stairs, through the door, down the hall, around a corner and onto a delivery bed, all the while fighting an urge to push - she could feel that Sam was coming.
2 minutes later, Sam's head was crowning as Nadine pushed and the Midwife, Bob, Mimi and Stephanie encouraged her on.

Several more strong pushes, 2 deep breaths, a groan and a final contraction and Sam entered this world! 25 minutes after getting in the car, and 10 minutes after arriving at the Birth Center, Nadine had delivered a beautiful 8 lb 14 oz boy, Sam Chase McCall. In less time than it takes to watch an episode of Alias, Sam had completed a mad dash into the world, concluding with squeals of delight as he nestled in his mother's arms.

No comments: