When we think about the events that make up our lives, it's funny how time can play tricks on the mind. There are weeks, months and even years that are hard to recall a single memory. And then there are moments, even those measured in seconds, that stand out with crystal clarity.
Last week on a pristine lake Winnipesaukee the kids & Nadine took advantage of the Summer Heat and decided to go tubing. Pulled 50 feet behind a speeding boat, one holds on tightly to a large circular tube while careening across the lake. Morgan and Nadine bravely, and gracefully took their turn together and wowed everyone with there strength and agility. But, the first ride of the day was the memorable one.
Jack and Sam volunteered to make the inaugural run. They each eagerly took their positions, stretched across the tube with feet dangling behind, above 60 feet of dark blue water. As the boys confidently signaled their readiness, the boat lurched forward, albeit tentatively so as not to dislodge the riders.
But, the initial hesitation didn't create enough speed to send the two riders skipping across the surface of the lake as planned. In stead, the rope yanked the tube forward, but down at a 45% angle, dunking the tube and its occupants beneath the surface of the magnificent lake.
In an instant, Nadine gasped, and I froze. Seconds ticked, and a thousand things seemed to be happening, but all in slow motion. I recall silence, but that couldn't have been. The boat engine would have been roaring, there certainly were shouts, and even the wind would have been scraping our ears.
Jack released his grip almost instantly, probably due to equal parts instincts and fear. But Sam, isn't wired to give in to resistance very easily, so he maintained his grip on the sinking torpedo. Nadine thought quickly and shouted for the boat to stop. I leaned in for a better view of the tube. Someone held Morgan. Jack bobbed to the surface, and quickly smiled. I exhaled a half a breath. As a wall of water leapt forward from the front of the tube, more shouts for the boat to stop. I strained forward further to catch a glimpse of Sam?
And finally, Sam bobbed to the surface. I was sure my heart hadn't beat a single time while the tube did its best submarine impression. Though my brain calculated that the whole event could not have been more than 5 seconds, the drama played out as if I were watching in silence for 30 minutes. And finally, as Sam floated safely on the silvery surface of the lake and his face changed from a look of amazement to one of relief, I could hear sounds again and feel the beating of my heart. Like a giant blender, the brief ride had mixed joy, fear, relief, pride, thrill and finally peace. I guess these are the moments that make up a lifetime.

No comments:
Post a Comment