Monday, April 14, 2008

Goodbye Papa






A little more than a week ago we said goodbye to Nadine's papa, Bob Earley. We had just celebrated his 95th birthday a few weeks earlier. It was a great celebration attended by 4 generations of his family and friends. To me, papa was the grandfather that I got to know as an adult. I will always carry an image of him when I think of how a grandfather (or great grandfather) should be. He was the kindest man I ever met. He had a twinkle in his eye and a quick wit. He never got angry, but you could feel his passion. He was classy and patient and laughed easily. He was always comfortable with himself. More than anything else he was generous. I hope one day I will be the grandfather that I have seen him be. He was always so sweet to our children and they always looked forward to visits to Papa.

I'll always remember how Nadine rode in his Red Cadillac to our wedding 11 years ago. I'll never forgot how many times we met Nana and Papa at the Hilltop Restuarant on Rt. 1 in Saugus. Grandpa Bob noted "they spent more time in Dodge City than the legendary Wyatt Earp". When we told the boys that Papa was not living any longer, Sam said "We miss you already Papa" and Jack noted "He's probably taking Nana to the Zoo tonight".

Goodbye Papa we'll miss you!

No comments: