Half a dozen games into his inaugural season in the Minors (kid pitch), Jack remained steadfast in his determination to make his mark on the the baseball season; This, despite being hitless, and in fact not even having a ball hit to him all season. Jack told everyone he could find that he wanted to pitch, the coach, his mom, teammates, his brother. In fact, on his way to the game on this particular cool night in May, he told his mother "I think I'm going to pitch". Nadine, playing the role of protector, reminded him that mostly 9 & 10 year olds get to pitch; 8 year olds don't usually pitch in this league.
That night's game crawled along with the Mariners (Jack's team) clinging to a narrow lead. In the later innings, as some kids interest began to wain, Jack could be seen mimicking a pitching motion repeatedly from his position at 2nd base, and at 3rd base, and in right field.
In the final inning, the coach was increasingly summoned to the mound to finish pitching for tired arms who could no longer find the plate, as Jack watched intently. With 2 outs in the final inning and the tying run on base, Jack made a final offer "coach, I'll pitch". I expected to hear an excuse or a promise of future opportunity. But, something in the way Jack staked his claim "I can do it", caught the coach's ear. The coach was about to stride off the field, but wheeled around and said, "OK Jack, come on over here". Jack hustled over to the mound, and without any prior game (or practice) experience, grabbed the ball and stood up tall on the mound. He peered in to the batter and focused his intent. I could see so many things in him on that mound that evening: pride, courage, vulnerability. I had a lump in my throat, and my heart thumped. I choked out a "you got him Jack". He broke into a perfect little windup, rock back, turn, knee kick, stride and fire. The first 3 pitches were balls, but he was undeterred. Time was standing still and racing at the same time. And before I could yell "hang in there buddy" he fired again. The batter swung and dribbled a weak grounder toward short, the fielder made a clean play and fired home, out! the game was over. JACK HAD SAVED THE GAME! One batter, one out, a perfect outing. As his team congratulated him, no amount of humility could hide his smile. I could tell this was a moment he (and I) would never forget. Jack is a brave, relentless boy and on this night his determination and will had helped him make a highlight, his first in baseball, that saved the game for his team.

No comments:
Post a Comment