Monday, November 22, 2010

Back to the Future

It was a perfect night for looking back, and for looking ahead. Both during a lively Supper tonight, and later while I read "Danny the Champion of the World" to our 3 Children, clear glimpses of their future were revealed. At dinner we discussed all of the amazing choices they would each be confronted with in their futures (the theme was making the decision to cheat, or not to cheat). Nadine and I shared stories of situations where we were confronted with decisions as children. Imagines ran wild as they began to shout out all of the things they wanted to be when they grew up. Morgan wants to be "a football player, a dancer, a skater or one of those girls that dances in the middle of a basketball game". She is all movement and grace.
Listening to the story, they heard how a 5 year old boy learned to be a mechanic from his Dad, who was described as the greatest Dad in the world. Sam took immediate issue with the statement, "he does seem like a pretty good dad, but you (talking to me) are definitely the best Dad in the whole world, there's no doubt about it!" He had a sparkle in his eye, but a tough look that dared anyone to challenge him on this claim. As Sam hopped into his bed his future rolled off his tongue: "a Singer, a football player, a soccer player, definitely a soccer player"
Jack couldn't wait to share: " a baseball player, football player, soccer player, a man the walks on the moon, no wait the first man to walk on Mars..." Although I might suggest he should add "actor" to his list. He often wants me to help him brush his teeth, but tonight he was more emphatic than usual. He said "I can't believe you won't help me, I'll get teeth cancer and all my teeth will rot and fall out!". I have no doubt each of them will achieve amazing futures, I can't wait to hear each chapter unfold...

No comments: