Sunday, January 10, 2010

Take Two

Crisis averted, Jack's smile (minus one tooth) told the whole story. A few minutes after 6 on Friday morning, Jack came bounding into the bedroom clutching a note and 2 quarters, "The tooth fairy came back! She left a note, it says 'thanks for finding the tooth, I lost it'. And she left more money!"
The previous night that outcome was not assured as Jack was brushing his teeth in our bedroom. Jack froze as he spotted a tooth on our bureau, which he quickly recognized as his own, one that had been traded for some prized dollars by the Tooth Fairy the night before. He shot me a glance, "Why is my tooth there?!" I tried a re-direct, "I don't think that's your tooth". He responded quickly "That's MY tooth". All I could come up with was "I wonder why that is there?" I was coming up empty for a good explanation, but slowly, "The Tooth Fairy must have dropped it Jack, I bet that's what happened" Jack's eyes remained fixated on me, studying my face for any sign of understanding... or deceit?
I didn't break, my mind was racing frantically, I offered "What do you think?" Finally, a twinkle started in his eye, "I bet (our cleaner) found it and picked it up" Nadine supported the story, "Good thing she (the cleaner) found it so it didn't get stuck in the vacuum cleaner" Jack chuckled "Yeah, that wouldn't have been good". Sam chirped in "Mom, just like when you were little, remember the Tooth Fairy was so busy that she forgot to take your tooth and she came back the next night"
Ahhh, a plan was hatched. Jack embraced the idea of leaving the tooth back under the pillow the next night. In an instant, confusion changed to mystique, two nights of visits from the Tooth Fairly. Well, the rest has been told, The Tooth Fairy returned, pleased to find the dropped tooth, and happy to bring thrills back to the McCall children. The Magic of the Tooth Fairy lives on...

No comments: