Thursday, June 25, 2009

An available Dad














Bob has been unable to post for awhile - busy providing for his family and all. Truthfully, his professional life has been nonstop this past year with personnel changes, restructuring and economic pressures to healthcare. He tirelessly gets up each day, exercises, dodges the morning chaos here and then drives an hour in his car (with no cruise control mind you) to work. He reverses this in the evening to come home to me and our children who wait eagerly by the door, yelling "Daddy's home!" at least a million times.

The children each have their own evening greeting ritual - Morgan takes his briefcase, unloads his coffee cup and lunchbox, looks for leftovers - consuming anything edible- and then starts looking for any gum I may have left him in his briefcase. Meanwhile Sam is usually absorbed in an activity, stops for a kiss and then in great detail tells Bob some tidbit of his day. Jack will have been hugging his dad since he entered the house and most likely will ask Bob a question that I have already given a no answer already, i.e. "Can I have ice cream with cookies and whip cream before dinner and finish my candy?".

Bob has been telling the boys stories for the past year - primarily a fictional character he has invented who is frequently off on an adventure with two boys. Jack and Sam are addicted to his stories, each listening intently, asking questions over and over again. Often these stories are told after an incredibly long day with a beat dad. Nevertheless, he churns out fanciful adventures and unbelievable situations. I have often encouraged Bob - in his spare time mind you- to put these stories down as I think they would be highly publishable. I know the boys will remember these stories for a long, long time.

I am thankful Bob is so invested in all of us - it makes a rich experience for me, Jack, Sam, and Morgan. He often is frustruated that he spends a lot of time away from us but I am so fortunate that he is so here - present and available.

Happy Father's Day Bob Daddy!
We love you

No comments: