Monday, June 16, 2008

A Spoon full of Sugar...

I have survived two rigorous checkups in the past 2 days, one a specialist, Dr. Sam gave me a targeted exam and the other, Dr. Jack gave me a general overview.

Tonight Sam pulled out the doctor bag and told me he needed to give me a check-up. He justified the need for the physical exam with a scary pronouncement: "Dad your blood is flowing backwards and going down the food tube". Yikes! That could explain both my hot breath and laziness that Nadine frets about. And Dr. Sam knew this without even laying a finger on me, although he then listened carefully to each of my ankles thereafter with the stethoscope and pronounced me "OK". He also listed to my stomach "pretty big, but OK" and then to my heart (located right side of thorax, top of abdomen) which sounded "really good".

Yesterday Jack asked if I would be his patient, and of course, I consented. He asked me to take a seat on the couch while he retrieved the Doctor's Kit. He started with "I'll be right with you Bob", and the "What seems to be bothering you?" I mentioned that I had some questions about healthy eating and he took the lead:
J: "First I'm going to talk to you about what not to do and then I'll tell you the right things to eat"
B: "That sounds good"
J: "You shouldn't eat a lot of sugary things like you shouldn't eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner, just on special occasions"
B: "That makes sense, but what about cookies? I really like those"
J: "You can only have them once in a while, they're at the top of the (food) pyramid. You should eat things like grains, beans, pasta. They're at the bottom of the pyramid"

Dr. J then lead me over to a bed and checked the following:
-looked in my nose "a little hairy
-gave me a lot of painful shots that "won't hurt very much", but laughed every time he plunged the syringe into my skin
-listed to me heart "good, strong beating"
-checked my blood pressure (exactly like the last med tech at my annual - cranked the cuff up for about 3 minutes and wouldn't tell me the results)
-checked my axillary (thankfully) temperature - surprisingly normal
_gave me some medicine "this is going to taste very bad" and then laughed

He concluded by telling me I would be all set until the next visit - very cute

I feel better already

No comments: